Monday, August 9, 2010

The Great Fire of Skala


I am in the final stages of writing a family memoir, The Memory Of All That. In my father's OSS personnel files, of all places, I have discovered information about his parents' origins that I never knew before. My grandfather Samuel Kaufman, a grocer, hailed from Rowno, Poland. My grandmother, Pauline Gottesfeld Kaufman, hailed from Skala in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, a town which has had a 20th century odyssey of its own without ever moving, as it was then (1887) in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but over the century was part of Poland, then part of the USSR, until 1990, when Ukraine was made independent, and so today it is in Ukraine.

In reading about Skala, I learned that there was a huge exodus of the Jewish population as a consequence of "the Great Fire of Skala" in 1899. The Gottesfelds arrived in America in 1900. Given that my novel Triangle has at its heart the Triangle waist company factory fire of 1911, I regret not having awareness that for a number of immigrants, some of whom were no doubt present that terrible day in March of 1911, there was a bitter irony, fleeing one fire only to meet this historic fire in the land of opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. There is one thing that I, as a college student just having read your book Triangle in my class, would like to ask you. Is your book completely fictional, completely not fictional, or did you take parts from both to make this extraordinary novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    The fire is real. The people in my story are fictional characters. Feel free to email me (katweber at snet dot net) if you want to discuss Triangle in more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bài viết rất chi tiết với các thông tin thật tuyệt vời, tôi rất thích, mời bạn xem các thông tin rất hữu ích >> Khám răng và các vấn đề liên quan ? ?

    ReplyDelete